Aksum, Lalibela and the Meskel Festival
Departing: Tuesday 24 September 2019
Returning: Monday 7 October 2019
Duration: 14 days
Explore the monasteries, rock-hewn churches and dramatic mountain scenery of Ethiopia, accompanied by Dr Jacke Phillips, an expert on the archaeology of Lalibela and Aksum. Aksum’s remains include monolithic obelisks, royal tombs and castles
of Aksum, whilst Lalibela’s awe-inspiring churches remain an important place of pilgrimage for Ethiopians today. The tour also includes the wildlife of the spectacular Simien Mountains, the castles of Gondar, the mountain churches of Tigray and a visit to the famed source of the Blue Nile at Lake Tana.
- Learn about the incredible empire of Aksum, once the most powerful state between the Eastern Roman Empire and Persia
- Discover the holy city of Lalibela, with its wonderous rockhewn churches
- Experience the colourful ancient Christian Festival of Meskel, marked with bonfires, singing and rows of white-robed priests
- Discover the little-known cave churches of Tigray, set high up in the rugged Geralta Mountains
- Explore the medieval castles and palaces of Gondar, once known as the ‘Camelot of Africa’
ARCHAEOLOGY AND ANCIENT HISTORY
ACTIVITY LEVEL: MEDIUM
Prices per person sharing, not including flights from UK. Single supplement £480.
$4,945 - please note that this US Dollar price is based on the exchange rate in June 2018. Contact the relevant operator for the most up-to-date price information.