Protecting your personal information
How we protect your information and credit card transactions
We use technical and organisational security measures to keep your information secure. This site uses specialist third party services to process your payments securely. We use industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates to encrypt your information when it is passed to these providers. Shortly after a purchase or refund is processed, you will receive a confirmation via email. You are advised to print out and save a copy of the order confirmation for verification necessary to request refunds or resolve any disputes.
Cookies and web storage
The table below explains the first party cookies features that our site may use depending on active services and actions by website visitors.
Session ID, required by the website to track your session.
Until end of session
Until end of session
|X-Mapping-*||Used by our website's load balancer||Until end of session|
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
This site runs Google Analytics, which uses four cookies for tracking visitors to the site.
- These cookies store information about what time the current visit occurred, whether the visitor has been to the site before, and what site referred the visitor to the web page.
- No data specific to any identifiable user is retained, and we do not share our data with any other Google services.
- With the values gained from these cookies Google Analytics can interpret journeys through our website content, give us information about how people use our site and so allow us to improve it.
- Due to shortcomings in Google Analytics the cookies for www.cam.ac.uk are returned to any web site in .cam.ac.uk. We believe that the Google Analytics code on these other sites will ignore these extra cookies.
- Google Analytics information about privacy and cookies may be found at http://www.google.com/analytics/tos.html and https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies.
- As a user you may opt out of the process Google Analytics uses to collect traffic log data (should your web browser be compatible). Google provides a browser add-on that enables a user to opt out of receiving Google Analytics cookies - http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
|_ga||Persistent for 2 years|
|_gat||Persistent for 10 minutes|
|_gat_camTracker||Persistent for 10 minutes|
|_gid||Persistent for 1 day|
This site also uses the Crazy Egg service to record the location of individual clicks on the website. This information is used to identify the most heavily clicked areas of the website, but also where users expect to be able to click. Using this information we have already been able to make a number of usability improvements to our site, and we will continue to do so in the future. Click data is recorded anonymously. Crazy Egg also provides us with other insightful information which we use in the same way. In order to record this information the Crazy Egg service set the following cookies:
|_ceg.s||Persistent for 3 months|
|_ceg.u||Persistent for 3 months|
If you would like to opt-out of Crazy Egg tracking, please see their easy-to-follow opt-out instructions.
Third party cookies and embedded services
We use the Issuu document reader to provide an interactive experience for reading some documents on our website. When you visit a page containing one of these readers the following cookies will be set on your computer:
|IDE||doubleclick.net||Related to advertising from Google's doubleclick service||Approximately 1 year|
|__gads||issuu.com||Related to the Issuu service||Approximately 2 years|
|__qca||issuu.com||Related to the Issuu service||Approximately 1 year|
|iutk||issuu.com||Related to the Issuu service||Approximately 10 years|
We will occasionally embed audio in the website, using the Soundcloud service, to provide a more engaging user experience. On pages with a Soundcloud media embed, the following cookies will be set:
|UID||scorecardresearch.com||Stores a unique identifier related to analytics for Soundcloud||Approximately 2 years|
|UIDR||scorecardresearch.com||Stores a unique identifier related to analytics for Soundcloud||Approximately 2 years|
|__utma||w.soundcloud.com||Related to Google Analytics for Soundcloud||Approximately 2 years|
|__utmb||w.soundcloud.com||Related to Google Analytics for Soundcloud||Approximately 30 minutes|
|__utmc||w.soundcloud.com||Related to Google Analytics for Soundcloud||End of session|
|__utmt||w.soundcloud.com||Related to Google Analytics for Soundcloud||Approximately 5 minutes|
|__utmz||w.soundcloud.com||Related to Google Analytics for Soundcloud||Approximately 6 months|
|sc_anonymous_id||soundcloud.com||Related to the Soundcloud service||Approximately 10 years|
The Soundcloud service also utilizes web storage to store additional information.
Please refer to Soundcloud's cookie information page for more information.
Alongside cookies, our website and the services we use may utilise 'web storage'. Web storage is more secure and performant than using cookies to store pieces of information.