Birmingham Freshers' Event
Overview of Freshers' Events
Why host a Freshers' Event?
Many Alumni Groups host pre-arrival Freshers’ Events in August and September for students starting a course at the University in Michaelmas Term. Freshers’ Events provide an opportunity for incoming students to make new friends, ask questions and get an idea of what to expect when they arrive. Attendees can benefit greatly from speaking to current students, recent graduates and alumni offering information and advice about living and studying at Cambridge.
Groups can benefit enormously from hosting a Freshers' Event
- They are fun and easy to organise
- You will make a direct and considerable difference towards helping new students prepare for university
- They provide an opportunity for your Group to engage with students and keep in touch with the University. Attendees are the potential Group members of the future
- You can rally organisational help from other Group members and recruit volunteers, such as current students and recent graduates, to help out on the day
- You will be supported throughout the process by the University’s Alumni Engagement team
Not sure whether to host a Freshers' Event?
Why not contact one of last year’s organisers with your questions, or attend one of this year’s events for inspiration? Simply contact the Alumni Engagement team to be put in touch with an experienced organiser.
Highlights from 2020
- 20 online events were organised: 10 in the UK and 10 international (across 9 countries)
- Events were attended by 198 incoming students
- 92% of organisers and 91% of incoming students who completed a follow-up survey were either satisfied or very satisfied with the event they either hosted or attended
- The organiser of the Cambridge Society of Poland won a £50 Heffers Bookshop voucher, having submitted his attendee registration form to the Alumni Engagement team within seven days of his event
- 258 current students and recent graduates registered to volunteer at a Freshers’ Event
Testimonials from last year's organisers
- “We have held events for the past 6 years and they have been well received.” – Donald Birch, Oxford & Cambridge Club of Geneva
- “It is always a good moment of interaction. All freshers were […] satisfied and all of them gave […] feedback on how helpful the event was.” – Andreia Costa Vieira, University of Cambridge Alumni Group – Sao Paulo
- “The volunteers […] were fantastic. They are very professional and well-prepared. I am proud of the new generation of Cambridge students.” – Anon
- “CUDAR has prepared a wealth of really helpful information and tips for organisers of Freshers’ Events.” – Ralph Smith, Cambridge Alumni Madrid
Testimonials from last year's attendees
- “A great way to give something back to the University and to stay connected with it. It is also a great way to connect with the alumni community.” – Volunteer, Spain event
- “It’s very low-commitment but high-reward.” – Volunteer, Devon and Dorset events
- “It was run well, and was a good way to help others/reflect on your own experience.” –Volunteer, South Wales event
- “It is worthwhile to help others who perhaps feel the same way you felt when starting at Cambridge.” – Volunteer, Spain event
- “[I] would definitely recommend [this opportunity] to people who want to get involved in access work.” – Volunteer, Scotland event