Alumni email terms of service
Version 3, May 2018
THIS DOCUMENT SETS OUT THE TERMS FOR YOUR USE OF EMAIL AND SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE UNIVERSITY AND ACCESSED USING YOUR @ALUMNI.CAM.AC.UK EMAIL ADDRESS (COLLECTIVELY REFERRED TO AS THE “SERVICE”). BY USING THE SERVICE, YOU AGREE TO COMPLY WITH THESE TERMS.
Any new or additional terms applicable from time to time to your use of the Service will be published at https://www.alumni.cam.ac.uk/alumni-email-terms-of-service
The Service is provided for personal, non-commercial use without charge. Therefore:
- your access depends upon you using the Service appropriately
- the Service is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis.
“Content” means any information that may be uploaded to or forwarded in the Service. All Content held in the Service is the sole responsibility of the person who uploaded or forwarded the Content. This means that the University is not responsible for any Content that you upload or access through your use of the Service, and does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Content.
The University reserves the right to remove Content which violates these terms, and to disclose Content as required by law.
You are responsible for:
- using the Service and uploading Content only in accordance these terms and applicable law
- not misleading others into believing that you are acting for or on behalf of the University
- keeping your password secure, and not sharing it with anyone else
- protecting equipment that you use to access the Service from viruses and malware
The University uses reasonable skill and due care in providing the Service, but Content that you upload or access through the Service may be subject to inadvertent corruption or loss. It is your responsibility to maintain appropriate backup of your Content.
The University does not guarantee that your use of the Service will be uninterrupted or error-free, and technical or security issues may result in suspension of the Service for indefinite periods.
Termination of your account
The University may at any time and without notice immediately terminate or suspend all or a portion of your account or access to the Service as the University reasonably feels necessary or is required by law, for example because of:
- your failure to comply with these terms
- activity in your account which inconveniences other users of the Service, or which threatens the integrity or availability of the Service
- unexpected technical or security issues
- a year of no activity in your account
- withdrawal of the Service.
Upon termination of your account you will lose access to the Service, including your account, your @alumni.cam.ac.uk email address, and your Content. After a period of time, the University will delete information and data stored in or as a part of your account.
Provision and use of the Service does not transfer any intellectual property (including trademarks) from the University to you, or vice versa.
Limitation of liability
The Service is provided without charge, and therefore the University excludes all liability to you (other than for death or personally injured caused directly by its negligence) including, without limitation, for termination or interruption of your account. You are solely responsible for any third-party losses or damages resulting from your use of the Service.
You agree to indemnify the University from any claim made by you or a third party acting on your behalf relating to your use of the Service or termination of your account. This means that you cannot sue the University for problems with the Service or termination of your account.