Cambridge Society of Belgium
The Cambridge Society of Belgium continues to be very active in and around the Brussels area. It draws its membership from the several hundred alumni who are at any one time known to be resident in Belgium, and organises most of its events in conjunction with the local Oxford Society. The Societies run a joint website, which includes photos of past events, information about future events, a list of members, the aims of the Group and a list of the Committee members of the two Societies.
Recent events have included
- Annual black tie dinner with Lord Watson (Jesus) as guest speaker.
- Lunch; with our Patron Lord Brittan of Spennithorne QC, DL speaking about 'The EU in tomorrow's world'.
- An autumn reception at the Hotel de Ville in the Grand Place, Brussels.
- A springtime afternoon of Music, Poetry and Food at the glorious Château de Louvignies in the countryside near Brussels.
- Lord Browne of Madingley speaking within the framework of the Amartya Sen Lecture Series on "Energy and the Environment".
The Societies try and cater for all tastes, so in addition to speaker evenings we have social events such as the annual Blues croquet match, a Boat Race supper, visits to private gardens and golf days. Members of the Society meet on the first Monday of each month to discuss plans for future activities and to promote networking among members in a convivial atmosphere.
Anyone passing through Brussels who would like to know more or to participate in events should contact the Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org.