San Diego Freshers' Event
Download the attendee registration form.
Overview of attendee data
All organisers are asked to provide the Alumni Engagement team with their attendee data within two weeks of their Freshers' Events.
If you submit this information within seven calendar days of your event, you will be entered into a free prize draw to win a £50 voucher to use online or in store at Cambridge outfitters, Ryder & Amies. Terms and conditions apply.
How to collect and submit your attendee data is determined by whether or not you are using Development and Alumni Relations' online booking system.
Instructions for organisers using Development and Alumni Relations' online booking system
- Just before the event, please log into the online booking system and export the attendee booking information for the event. Use the exported information to create a registration list, which you might find helpful to print.
- At the event, please record which of the students on the registration list are in attendance.
- At the event, please also record the (1) first or given name, (2) family name, (3) College, (4) CRSid and (5) email address of any incoming Cambridge students[*] who turn up at the event without pre-booking. We recommend using our template attendee registration form for this purpose[**].
- Within two weeks of the event, please log into the online booking system and update the 'participant status' of those who pre-booked for the event to indicate whether they 'attended', 'cancelled' or were a 'no-show'. Please also register any incoming students who turned up without pre-booking and mark their 'participant status' as 'attended'.
[*] Please do not record this information for any other attendees, such as alumni, current students, Oxford students if it is a joint event, parents, or any other guests.
[**] Attendees are entitled to opt out of completing the form, but please encourage them to complete it, because in doing so they will hear about opportunities to connect with your Groups.
Instructions for all other organisers
Please collect and submit the (1) first or given name, (2) family name, (3) College, (4) CRSid and (5) email address for every incoming Cambridge student who attends your event. You are strongly encouraged to use our template attendee registration form for this purpose, because it is designed to capture this information. Additionally, it seeks the necessary permission your Group needs to stay in contact with attendees after the event, as well as the information we need to identify attendees on the University's student database.
Instructions for completing the attendee registration form
- Download and print enough copies of the template attendee registration form.
- Display the Group's data protection statement next to the attendee registration form to inform those completing the form of how the Group will handle and use their data.
- Assign a volunteer to register attendees on arrival and ensure no one is missed.
- Ask only incoming Cambridge students starting a course in Michaelmas Term to complete the form. Please ensure it is not completed by alumni, current students, Oxford students if it is a joint event, parents, or any other guests.
- Attendees are entitled to opt out of completing the form, but please encourage them to complete it, because in doing so they will hear about opportunities to stay in touch with your Group.
Instructions for submitting the attendee registration form
- You will be contacted by the Alumni Engagement team for your attendee registration form within a few days of the event.
- Before submitting the form, please go through it and cross out or delete anyone who is not a new Cambridge student starting a course in Michaelmas Term. For example, please remove alumni, current students, Oxford students if it is a joint event, parents and any other guests.
- If possible, please submit an editable version of the form (such as a Word or Excel file), rather than a PDF file or a hard copy, as it will be quicker for us to process. Please email the form to the Alumni Engagement team.
Why attendee data is important
We appreciate the effort organisers go to for the purpose of collecting and submitting attendee data. This information is beneficial to Groups, students and the University, for the reasons stated below:
- Organisers can use the data to keep in contact with attendees throughout their studies and invite them back to next year's Freshers' Events as current student volunteers
- We will contact attendees for their feedback and share it with organisers by the end of December. This should give you an idea of what worked well and provide some suggestions for next time
- We will notify attendees throughout their studies of opportunities to connect with alumni and Alumni Groups. This supports Groups with their student engagement initiatives and inspires future membership
- We will examine attendee data and use our findings to improve support to organisers and rally support for Freshers’ Events across Collegiate Cambridge