Student Travel Award
The Student Travel Award provides students with funding to travel throughout Europe during the summer or Christmas vacations, visiting Cambridge Alumni Groups and promoting their activities to students.
Applications for the Student Travel Award 2018 will open on Monday 15 January 2018. Full details will be available here in January
We are delighted to announce this year's winners: Lydia Bunt, Akil Hashmi, Ellen Harris and Connor MacDonald. Itinerary planning is underway and details of the winners' trips will be available here soon.
Magdalene 2016, Psychological and Behavioural Sciences
Tuesday 22 August to Sunday 17 September 2017
Bulgaria (Sofia) to visit the Oxford and Cambridge Society Bulgaria
Macedonia (Skopje) to visit the Oxford and Cambridge Society of Macedonia
Greece (Athens) to visit the Hellenic Cambridge Alumni Association
Israel (Tel Aviv) to visit the Cambridge Club of Israel
Cyprus (Nicosia and Limassol) to visit the Cyprus Cambridge Society
UK (Chester) to visit the Cambridge Society of West Cheshire and North Wales
"[I] did not realise how expansive the [Alumni Groups] network was across the world [and] I am keen to now strengthen my ties to the University and the exceptional people associated with it."
Robinson 2016, Engineering
Tuesday 22 August to Wednesday 13 September 2017
Germany (Berlin) – German Cambridge Society
Czech Republic (Prague) – Oxford and Cambridge Alumni Society, Czech Republic
Switzerland (Zurich) – Oxford and Cambridge Club of Zurich
Switzerland (Geneva) – Oxford and Cambridge Club of Geneva
France (Paris) – Cambridge Society of Paris
UK (London) – Cambridge Society of London
"In previous years the Student Travel Award has been enthusiastically received among both students and alumni. My ideas address how to extend previous students’ work and increase the visibility of the alumni network to students. There are still huge opportunities to engage students travelling and living abroad in Europe."
Pembroke 2016, Modern and Medieval Languages
Thursday 7 to Saturday 24 September 2017
Germany (Hamburg) to visit the Oxford and Cambridge Society of Hamburg
Germany (Berlin) – German Cambridge Society
Germany (Frankfurt) to visit the Cambridge Alumni Club at Frankfurt
Germany (Munich) to visit the Cambridge Alumni Munich
France (Paris) to visit the Cambridge Society of Paris
Austria (Vienna) to visit the Oxford and Cambridge Society of Austria
UK (Kent) to visit the Cambridge Society of Kent
"[The Student Travel Award will] give me the opportunity to act as an ambassador for my university, to further my interest in international cohesion, and to learn more about the exciting network of Cambridge alumni across Europe."
Emmanuel 2015, Human, Social, and Political Science
Connor, who is planning to visit Scotland, Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland in December 2017, says:
"This bond between generations of students, though separated by the passing of years, remains the pillar on which the legacy of the University of Cambridge stands. It is also at the heart of the Student Travel Award, through which I hope to strengthen that bond."
The Student Travel Award will enable you to:
- visit locations of personal and career interests
- develop your social and professional networks with alumni
- enhance your skills and increase your employability
- help shape how Cambridge Alumni Groups support and engage with students and recent graduates
- join a growing network of previous award winners and get involved with future awards.
Who else benefits?
Cambridge students will benefit from you letting them know about:
- the wealth of information, advice and opportunities available to them by using the global network of Alumni Groups as a resource throughout their studies
- life after university and how alumni stay connected to Cambridge.
Alumni Groups will benefit from you:
- promoting their student engagement activities
- guiding them on how to support and engage with students and recent graduates.
Itinerary and activities
Up to four selected students will be given £1,200 each to visit up to six Alumni Groups in Europe, to:
- discover how they operate
- meet Group members and participate in Group activities
- explore how alumni support and engage with students and recent graduates
- learn about the life-long opportunities for alumni to stay connected to Cambridge
- use social media and other platforms to publicise the trip and their findings to students.
Selected students will have the freedom to put together their own itinerary with guidance from the Development and Alumni Relations office.
Selected students are encouraged to arrange additional visits outside the itinerary (and at their own expense) related to their personal and career interests, such as to a conference or tourist attraction.
On return, selected students will write a report on how Alumni Groups can engage with students and recent graduates (for distribution to Alumni Groups), and a short article on the trip and their findings (for publication). They will also attend an informal celebration with key individuals associated with the award.
In order to make an application to be considered for an award, an applicant must fulfil all the following criteria:
- the applicant must be a (i) registered, (ii) fulltime, (iii) active, (iv) undergraduate or PhD student (v) of the University of Cambridge who is (vi) not in the final year of study for their degree
- the applicant must provide the name and contact details of a referee who supports the application. For undergraduates this must be your College Tutor or Director of Studies. For PhD students this must be your Supervisor, ideally, or Graduate Tutor
- the applicant must be available for interview (in person ideally or via Skype) on Friday 28 April 2017 and available to travel during one of the specified periods stated in the key dates section below.
- Applications open: Monday 16 January 2017
- Drop-in advice session for prospective applicants: 6–7pm GMT on Wednesday 8 March 2017
- Application deadline: 12pm (noon) GMT on Monday 27 March 2017
- Short-listing: Week of Monday 3 April 2017
- Interviews: Friday 28 April 2017
- Awards announced: Week of Monday 1 May 2017
- Pre-travel briefings: Prior to departure
- Dates of travel: Selected students may travel any time during one of the following specified periods: Period 1: Tuesday 1 August – Sunday 1 October 2017 inclusive; Period 2: Saturday 2 December 2017 to Sunday 14 January 2018 inclusive
- Deadline for submission of report, article, expenses spreadsheet and receipts: Within 14 calendar days of the return date
- Deadline for submission of unspent award money (if applicable): Within 30 calendar days of the date of invoice
- Celebration: Period 1 trips: Mid-November 2017; Period 2 trips: Mid-January 2018.
Applications for the Student Travel Award 2017 are closed. Details of next year's award will be available here in January 2018
A reference will be taken up by Development and Alumni Relations as part of the selection process.
What we are looking for
Successful applicants will:
- demonstrate an understanding of the objectives of the Student Travel Award
- present a proposed travel itinerary and a breakdown of anticipated costs
- demonstrate some knowledge of and interest in the Alumni Groups they wish to visit
- demonstrate how they will publicise the trip to a wide range of students, including through social media networks and the student press
- demonstrate an interest in helping Alumni Groups engage with students and recent graduates
- demonstrate an awareness of how the Student Travel Award may improve their career prospects and aspirations
- demonstrate a commitment to representing the University in a positive way.
The Student Travel Award is funded and administered by the University's Development and Alumni Relations office. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or telephone +44 (0)1223 332288.