Crossing the Ancient Silk Road
Single supplement £860.
Flexible booking policy
All deposits fully refundable up until 31 March 2021
The ancient Silk Road was a vast network of roads stretching from Xi’an to the Eastern Mediterranean. It passes through forbidding mountains and deserts, as well as spectacular cities and tiny hamlets, and was not just a trade route, it was also the main East-West artery for the flow of ideas. Explore the lost cities, marvel at the great artistic achievements and discover the magic and beauty of these ancient routes in the company of Dr Iain Shearer.
- Explore beautiful Kyrgyzstan and Lake Issykul, the world’s second highest navigable lake
- Journey through the spectacular Tien Shan Mountains, past herds of Bactrian Camels and Tajik camping grounds
- In Urumqi visit one of China’s most impressive museums and learn more of the mummies of Urumqi and the secrets of the Silk Road
- Visit Turfan, an oasis of gardens, orchards and vineyards in the barren desert
- Discover the caves at Dunhuang in Central China and Longmen Caves in Eastern China, two of the world’s richest treasure troves of Buddhist art
- Explore the great city of Xi’an, the Eastern Terminus of the Silk Road