Birmingham Freshers' Event
Overview of Freshers' Events
Why host a Freshers' Event?
Many Alumni Groups host pre-arrival Freshers’ Events in August and September for students starting a course at the University in Michaelmas Term. Freshers’ Events provide an opportunity for incoming students to make new friends, ask questions and get an idea of what to expect when they arrive. Attendees can benefit greatly from speaking to current students, recent graduates and alumni offering information and advice about living and studying at Cambridge.
Groups can benefit enormously from hosting a Freshers' Event
- They are fun and easy to organise
- You will make a direct and considerable difference towards helping new students prepare for university
- They provide an opportunity for your Group to engage with students and keep in touch with the University. Attendees could be future members of the Group
- You can rally organisational help from other Group members and involve volunteers, such as current students and recent graduates, to help out on the day
- You will be supported every step of the way by the University’s Alumni Engagement team
Not sure whether to host a Freshers' Event?
Why not contact one of last year’s organisers with your questions, or attend one of this year’s events for inspiration? Simply contact the Alumni Engagement team to be put in touch with an experienced organiser.
Highlights from 2019
- 47 events were organised: 19 in the UK and 29 across 22 other countries
- Events were attended by 800 incoming students - an increase of 7% on last year
- 94% of organisers and 96% of incoming students who completed a follow-up survey were very satisfied or satisfied with the event they either hosted or attended
- The organiser of the Cambridge Society of South Wales won a £50 Heffers Bookshop voucher, having submitted his attendee data to the Alumni Engagement team within seven days of his event
- 551 current students and recent graduates registered with the Alumni Engagement team to volunteer at a Freshers’ Event
Testimonials from last year's organisers
- “This was one of the best attended and successful Freshers' event in York in recent years. A major influence was the contribution of the undergraduates and recent graduate.” – David Billett, Cambridge Society of North and West Yorkshire
- “Very good turn up, excellent participation and help by the volunteers. All freshers very satisfied and thanked for the event.” – Vassiliki Kouvaki, Hellenic Cambridge Alumni Association
- “This was the first time I had used the online booking system, and it was very useful.” – William Telford, Northumbrian Cambridge Association
- “We had attendees from last year freshers events that have just returned from Cambridge and it was very nice to hear them sharing their experiences for the new freshers.” – Andreia Costa Vieira, Cambridge University Brazilian Alumni – São Paulo
Testimonials from last year's attendees
- “Friendly atmosphere and very helpful alumni.” – Attendee, Bangalore event
- “Made me much less apprehensive about the transition.” – Attendee, Boston, MA event
- “Made the university seem far more accessible. Definitely helped to calm nerves and feel more normal.” – Attendee, Cardiff event
- “Reassuring to meet like-minded people in the same situation as myself.” – Attendee, Chester event
- “Thought everyone would be from private school but no.” – Attendee, Kent event
- “The event helped create a sense of community.” – Attendee, Mumbai event
- “Good to find out more information not found in the Freshers' Guides.” – Attendee, Dorset event